Payment Gateway: PayPal Standard
PayPal Standard (PayPal Payments Standard) is an off-site payment method and is available to event organizers in many countries. A PayPal premier or business account is needed to accept payments.
Need a PayPal account? Call 1-855-456-1338 or click here to sign up for a merchant account.
PayPal Standard has been replaced by PayPal Express (PayPal Express Checkout).
Switch from PayPal Standard to PayPal Express
1) Login to your PayPal.com account.
If you have used PayPal Express for other projects, then you’ll have existing credentials that you can click to view and then copy into Event Smart and save changes. If this is a new account, then you can request the credentials. Continue with the steps below.
Locate your credentials for PayPal Standard
Pro Tip 1! Will PayPal Standard be the only payment method enabled or the only one you offer? Click here to learn how to make it selected by default during the registration checkout.
Setup PayPal Standard on your Event Smart website
- Name: This is the name of the payment method.
- Description: This description is shown during registration checkout.
- Admin-Only Name: This is a name of the payment method that will only be shown in the Event Smart dashboard.
- Admin-Only Description: This description is used only in the Event Smart dashboard.
- Use PayPal Sandbox?: Enables debugging for this payment method. It should be off (set to no) on a live/production site.
- Open by Default? – This sets this payment method to be pre-selected on the registration checkout page.
To give your audience more payment options, you can activate multiple payment methods at the same time. However, if you are offering just one payment option, then we recommend that you set that one payment method to be selected by default during registration checkout. That will simplify the check out process for your attendees.
- PayPal Email: This is the email address that for your PayPal.com account.
- Image URL: This image is used on the PayPal.com page and appears in the top left area of the screen. This is helpful for branding your payment page.
- PayPal Calculate Taxes: Select if payment requests should be sent through Authorize.net server or the newer Akamai servers.
- PayPal Calculate Shipping: If enabled, then taxes will be calculated through your settings on PayPal.com which will override any tax settings in Event Smart.
- Shipping Address Options: Specify the option for how addresses should be handled: Do not prompt for an address, Prompt for an address but do not require it, Prompt for an address and require it.
- Button Image URL: Change the default button on the payment page.
- Usable From: Select where this payment method should be available for use. This payment method cannot process payments through the Event Smart dashboard.
- Order: The value (number) can be used to sort or arrange this payment option. A lower value means that it should appear first during registration checkout.
- Update Settings: Click this button after making any changes to your payment method.
- Deactivate Payment Method: Click this button to deactivate this payment method.
Add your credentials (e.g. PayPal Email) to the settings page and then save changes. Some additional changes are required through your PayPal.com account. Be sure to complete those steps below.
Part 1 - Enable the PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notifications)
Part 2 - PayPal button language encoding
Part 3 - Enable PayPal Auto Return
Double-check your credentials and ensure that there is no extra spacing before or after the credentials in the payment methods page of Event Smart. You can check your PayPal IPN logs by logging into your account and going to: PayPal account --> Profile --> My Selling Tools --> Instant payment notifications. You can check the history of a transaction and payments by viewing the transaction record:
Recurring or subscription payments are not currently supported in the Authorize.net AIM payment gateway.
Refunds in Event Smart are currently a two step process. First, apply the refund through the transaction details screen in your Event Smart website (Event Smart dashboard --> Transactions and click on a specific transaction and browse to the payments area). Then login to your PayPal Standard account and process the refund.