Square Payment Gateway Integration
The Square payment gateway will let your attendees pay for their event registrations with Square through credit cards, debit cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.
An account with Square is required to accept payments. Need a Stripe account? Click here to sign up for a merchant account with Square..
You can sign up even if you are not a business (e.g., you are raising funds for a local nonprofit or charity).
An active subscription for the Stripe feature upgrade is also needed to use Stripe on your Event Smart website.
☝️ After subscribing to the Square integration you can next connect your Event Smart website to Square.
Connect with Square
1. From your Event Smart dashboard, look for Settings in your admin menus. Next, click on Payment Methods and click on Square. Then click on the Activate button.
Scroll down the page to about the halfway point. Look for the Square OAuth option and click on the Connect with Square button.
2. In the small window that appears, enter your email address and password for your Square account. Then click on the Sign in button.
3. Scroll down and click on the Allow button for Event Espresso OR Event Smart (we operate both platforms) to access your square account.
4. You’ll then see a connected message to the left of the Square OAuth option.
Enable Digital Wallet
Google Pay and Apple Pay are available in specific countries. (The links below have the latest information.)
– Square supports Google Pay only for CAD transactions in Canada, GBP transactions in the United Kingdom, and USD transactions in the United States.
– Apple Pay is only available for Square accounts based in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Google Pay is automatically available if your merchant account is in one of the supported countries above.
Apple Pay requires you to register and verify your domain. Here are the steps:
1. Open the Developer Dashboard and login using your Square email address and password.
2. Select the application associated with your SqPaymentForm implementation.
3. At the top of the page, choose Production mode.
4. In the navigation pane, choose Apple Pay for the selected application.
5. Choose the Add Domain link and follow the instructions.
After you have registered your domain, then you can enable the digital wallet option in the Square payment method settings for Event Smart. From your Event Smart dashboard, go to Event Smart → Payment Methods → Square. Scroll down and look for the Enable Digital Wallet option. Set it to Yes.
Then scroll to the end of the page and click on the Update button.
Setup and Configuration
An account with Square is needed to accept payments via Square.
A dedicated SSL certificate is recommended to make registration checkout and other areas of your website more secure.
Login to your Event dashboard and go to Event Smart –> Payment Methods. Once you’re on the Payment Methods screen, click on Square and click on the Activate button.
Below are the available fields and explanations for each field.
Name – This is the name of the payment method.
Description – This description is shown during registration checkout.
Admin-Only Name – This is a name of the payment method that will only be shown in the Dashboard.
Admin-Only Description – This description is used only in the Dashboard.
Debug Mode On? – Enables debugging for this payment method. It should be off (set to no) on a live/production site.
Open by Default? – This sets this payment method to be pre-selected on the registration checkout page.
Square OAuth: Connect your Square account to Event Smart.
Enable Digital Wallet: Allow payments through Google Pay and Apple Pay.
Merchant Location: Select the location you want your payments to be associated with.
Button URL – This is the URL to the image that will be used during the payment process of registration checkout.
Alternative Button URL: https://ee-screenshots.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/07/pay-by-credit-card.png
Usable From? – Select where this payment method should be available for use. This payment method cannot process payments through the dashboard.
Order – The value (number) can be used to sort or arrange this payment option. A lower value means that it should appear first during registration checkout.
Update Settings – Click this button after making any changes to your payment method.
Deactivate Payment Method – Click this button to deactivate this payment method.
The Square payment gateway will let you accept event payments via major credit or debit cards. Payments through Google Pay and Apple Pay are also supported.
This is an onsite payment gateway which means that attendees/registrants will process their payment on your site.
An account with Square is needed to accept payments via Square and an SSL certificate is recommended for securing your website.
How can I setup a recurring payment or subscription through Square?
Recurring or subscription payments are not currently supported in the Square payment gateway.
When I refund a payment, does it also refund through Squareup.com?
Refunds in Event Smart are currently a two step process.
1) Apply the refund through the transactional details screen of Event Smart in your dashboard.
2) Then login to your Square merchant account and process the refund.
Is an SSL certificate needed for Square?
Event Smart provides SSL Certificates for subdomain addresses, so unless you have a dedicated domain you are all set.
Do I need to be PCI compliant?
Compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) is required if you are processing, storing, or transmitting credit card data. Event Smart helps you by using the Square payment form for processing payments through Square and we recommend using a dedicated SSL certificate on your website.
An error has occurred: Unexpected Error. A Square Order Response was no returned.
If you receive this error when trying to process a transaction with Square, check your authentication settings between Event Smart and Square. Navigate to Event Smart > Payment Methods > Square. You may see a message that there was an error while doing the authorization health check and that you need to re-authorize to fix the problem. Scroll down the page and re-authorize the integration.