Appearance > Widgets
Themes usually have at least 1 or 2 sidebars. Sidebars are the narrow columns to the left or right of your blog posts. Each section in the sidebar is known as a "Widget" that you can add or remove, and move up or down. You configure Widgets in your sidebar by via the Appearance Widgets Screen. Some themes also are configured to accept widgets in certain parts of the footer.
Configuring Your Widgets
Click on Appearance > Widgets from the main navigation menu in your Dashboard.
- Add new widgets from the Available Widgets section by dragging them to the Sidebar you want to customize. (There might be more than one sidebar option, depending on your theme.)
- Preview your site and you should see the content from your new Widget.
- Return to the Widgets Panel to continue adding Widgets to the Sidebar as needed.
- To arrange the Widgets within the Sidebar, click, drag and drop the widgets in the order you want.
- To customize the Widget features, click the down arrow (or edit link) in the upper right corner to expand the Widget's interface.
- To save the Widget's customization, click Save. (If simply moving a widget to the sidebar without making customizations, you do not need to click the Save button.)
- Preview your site again, and all of your changes should be visible.
Remove a Widget
- Click on Appearance > Widgets from the main navigation menu in your Dashboard.
- Decide which Sidebar from which you want to remove your widget if there is more than one option.
- For the Widget that is to be removed, click the down arrow (or edit link) in the upper right corner to expand the Widget's interface
- Click the Delete link in the dialog box.
- The Widget will now be removed permanently.
- Preview your site to see your changes.
Note: If you would like to remove a widget temporarily and keep your settings, drag the widget from the Sidebar into the Inactive Widgets section. When you are ready to return the widget, drag it from your Inactive Widgets section back to the Sidebar.
Moving a Widget
To move a Widget:
- The Widget must be located in a Sidebar or other active content area before it can be moved.
- Click on the Widget Title and hold the mouse button down, then drag the Widget bar up or down to the location desired. At that point release the mouse button. That process is called drag-and-drop.